MERIDIAN MESSAGE BOARD
- HONEY WANTED
Planted Skincare Ltd
- BEE AND HONEY SHOW AND SOUTH OF ENGLAND SHOW, 8-10 JUNE
- The Bees & Honey Show event is an extremely popular visitor attraction staged within a marquee at the annual South of England Show organised by the South of England Agricultural Society. SEAS is a registered charity whose aims are to showcase farming, agriculture and the countryside ... perfectly aligned with the charitable aims of the BBKA and its Associations and Divisions.
- The Bees & Honey Show provides a perfect venue for introducing and informing a public eager to understand more about honey bees and beekeeping; by meeting, talking with and watching live demonstrations of beekeeping practices provided by beekeepers from throughout the region. Could you help by passing on your passion for beekeeping to an enquiring public?
- The Bees & Honey Show provides a perfect venue for Associations and Divisions from throughout the South of England to promote themselves to potential new beekeepers and members amongst the shows many visitors, and to advertise their own beekeeping 'Taster Day' or 'Introductory Courses.
- The Bees & Honey Show stands within the marquee includes our Honey Sales stall, from where jars of honey, cut comb, and other products of the hive provided by Associations, Divisions or individual beekeepers are offered for sale on there behalf, with a modest sales commission donated to SEAS. Could you provide stock to be offered for sale?
- The Bees & Honey Show provides an excellent opportunity for beekeepers throughout the South of England to practice, develop and maybe hone their skills at preparing Competition Entries for the Honey Show Classes. Would you like to take part in the competitive Classes? http://www.seas.org.uk/info/competing/competing-south-england-show/bees-honey/
- The Bees & Honey Show organisers welcome offers of help or participation as stewards, with free entry to the entire South of England Show and time off the Bees & Honey stewarding duties to walk around the show-ground. See the Poster and the Show Schedule for appropriate contact details, or respond directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Even if not able to participate directly, we invite you to drop in to the Bees & Honey Marquee during the three days of the show, to say hello, see what we are doing and to perhaps visit the Paynes stand for some early summer equipment purchases.
- NEWS FROM BEECRAFT
You will have been delighted to receive your new subscription for Christmas. No? Then treat yourself now. It's an essential addition to your preparations for the new beekeeping season before events overtake you! Now is also the time to buy your Apiary Guide Multipack ready for the new season, buy more Record Cards if you already have one, and maybe to file away your 2016 copies of Bee Craft into one of our easy reference binders now that your 2017 copies are arriving.
Confused about the BBKA Exam structure? Check out the easy reference flow-chart in our Bee Craft infographic to clarify. Despite the forewarning of spring there is still time to study. Do you have the right Bee Craft book or Yates study notes for this year's module? Check out out what books are available here and why not add one of our stunning Bee Craft calendars for just £2 when you place your order.
Hot off the press news is that our publication 'Heather Honey - A Comprehensive Guide' by Michael Badger MBE has just been added to the BBKA's recommended reading list. This book is a 384 page full colour reference volume providing detailed advice for successful heather honey production from hive preparation through to honey exhibition. Take a look and order here.
BeeTradex and the BBKA Convention are not that far away so do you need to place an advance order for a Microbox to collect there, complemented by theBee Craft publication 'Practical Microscopy' perhaps which can be ordered through the same link? Is this just what your association needs?
Would you like a weekly nudge on what you need to be doing each week? Sign up for our free, brief, Timely Reminder emails direct to your inbox.
The February hangout will be on 15th at 8.00pm. This now has a truly international appeal so do tune in to watch and ask those nagging questions of our team. We often receive emailed answers too, so you really do receive a cross section of thoughts/advice/information. You missed one of the previous hangouts I hear you say? Just scroll down on the same link to watch earlier ones and get your webmaster to add any that you particularly like to your website - just please acknowledge Bee Craft as the source.
Wendy and the Bee Craft team
- BBKA SPRING CONVENTION TICKETS ON SALE
All the best,
Hampshire Beekeepers Association
- ANNUAL REPORT FROM THE NATIONAL BEE UNIT, SOUTHERN REGION
- MESSAGE FROM BEES FOR DEVELOPMENT
- Donations to our Big Give Challenge are doubled until Friday. We are raising funds to help young people in Ethiopia to earn their livings from beekeeping. Your donation will be doubled as long as match funds last, so please donate to our Project now if you can. The Challenge ends midday Friday 2 December.
- Bill Turnbull will feature our work on his BBC Radio 4 Appeal Sunday 11 December at 7.55am and 9.26pm, and Thursday 15 December at 3.27pm: read here for details.
- For family and friends that 'Already have everything', why not give them one of our new Good Bee Gift cards? Prices of these virtual gifts range from £10 to £100: make your choice here.
Two special opportunities to support Bees for Development:
Please donate to the Big Give Christmas Challenge and see your donation doubled until midday Friday 2 December
Listen to Bill Turnbull talking about Bees for Development. BBC Radio 4 Appeal Sunday 11 December at 7.55am and 9.26pm, and Thursday 15 December at 3.27pm. Catch up or listen again that week at www.bbc.co.uk/radio4
Bees for Development helps beekeepers living in poverty in Africa and beyond. Please help us to help them.
Dr Nicola Bradbear
Director, Bees for Development
President, Apimondia Scientific Commission Beekeeping for Rural Development
1 Agincourt Street, Monmouth NP25 3DZ
United Kingdom Tel +44 (0)1600 714848
The Bees for Development Trust UK Registered Charity 1078803
- SURVEY ON BEEKEEPING
As a team of students from Slovenia we are working on a project based on bees and beekeeping. To start our project we are conducting research into the problems apiculturists are facing and how they deal with such problems. Our aim is to interview as many beekeepers as possible because we believe that a professional opinion is the most valuable. Therefore we have also made a short survey with the purpose of leading us through the interviews. For this reason we are establishing contact with your Federation. Our goal is not to waste hours of your free time, but to collect expert knowledge, such as yours, which are worth their weight in gold. The collected data will be completely anonymous and collected ad hoc. We would appreciate if you could sacrifice a small amount of your free time to simply answer a few questions via skype, and it would be of great assistance if you would be so kind as to send the survey to as many members of your federation as possible to help increase the accuracy of data collected. The survey can be accessed and completed using the link given below.
Link to the survey: https://goo.gl/forms/e7y33yCbDAGZdQAn2
You can contact us using: E-mail: email@example.com ; Skype: x_matic_x
We eagerly anticipate your response and thank you in advance.
on behalf of a team of young researchers:
Gregor Deleja, Prof.
headmaster of grammar school Gimnazije Celje - Center
Kosovelova ulica 1, SI - 3000 Celje, Slovenia
T: 00386 41 708 945
- MORE INFO ON THE ASIAN HORNET: http://honeybeesuite.com/beekeeping-with-asian-hornets
- ASIAN HORNET FOUND IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Bee Craft has carried articles about the Asian hornet since 2011 so click here for the first of 3 pages from our September 2011 issue, and we also had a description of the Apishield hornet trap in April 2014 .
If you would like to add a message of your own, please contact the Secretary. Please make sure you include all relevant contact details so that members can respond appropriately. Messages will be posted for approximately one month and then removed.